How To Change A Watch Battery
Need to know how to change a hybrid watch battery? Maybe you've gotten a notification from the Fossil Q App that let you know your battery is running low. Here's how to make sure you buy the right battery replacement for your watch —and that you install it correctly or visit your local Fossil store, where you can get your battery changed while you shop. (Click here to find a store near you.)
Before you learn how to change a watch battery, find out exactly what kind of battery you have. If you're having your battery replaced in a Fossil store, call ahead to ensure that your battery is in stock, as battery types and availability may vary by store. With a Fossil hybrid watch, you can easily check by opening the Fossil Q App on your smartphone and, from the main navigation menu on the top left of the front page, opening "My Devices." Tap on your device, scroll down to "Battery," and you'll see your battery type.
To find the battery style for your Fossil hybrid smartwatch use the Fossil Smartwatch app, click on the picture of your watch in the top right corner, and scroll down. Most hybrids are compatible with any CR2430 coin cell battery, which allows them to hold a charge for 4 to 6 months. Swapping in a new coin cell lithium battery can be done easily and in just a few simple steps, plus CR2430 batteries are available from most retailers that sell batteries. And while we always recommend visiting the nearest Fossil store to have your battery replaced by a pro to avoid damaging your watch's internal movement in the process, we know many do-it-yourselfers want to try it at home.
How To Change A Watch Battery
- Hold the device securely and with the face resting down in your hand to avoid scratches
- Insert a coin (or the tool provided, depending on your watch model) into the slot on the back of your watch case
- Apply light pressure while turning the tool or coin to the left. Turn until you line up the dots or markers, making sure not to over rotate the case back
- Press on one side of the case back to pry it open from the other side. Remove the case back
- Remove the old battery, and insert the new battery with the "+" or logo facing up
- Return the case back. To close, apply light pressure while turning the tool or coin to the right. Make sure the dots or markers are exactly aligned and that the case back is fully closed with no gaps.
- Enjoy! You've learned how to change a watch battery.
To extend the life of your hybrid smartwatch—and to avoid figuring out how to change a watch battery for just a little bit longer—you can reduce the number of people or apps that deliver notifications from your smartphone to your hybrid watch through vibrations. You can also turn off notifications altogether, and if your watch model supports alarm functionality, consider turning off your alarm to save even more battery life.
If your watch battery gets too low to deliver notifications from your smartphone by haptic vibrations, all of your watch's hands will point to the 6 position. You will be notified in the Fossil Q App that vibration will no longer work until the battery is replaced—which means it's time for you to learn how to change a watch battery! After you change the battery and dismiss the notification, your hybrid watch will go back to telling time and keeping you connected to your smartphone.